3.08.2009

The Nerve of Some People's Children

"The nerve of some people's children" is my favorite saying when I see people doing things that peeves me. I actually got that saying from one of my favorite math teachers from middle school. Mrs. Horvath, man, I miss that lady. She was so genteel and always wanted her students to behave in an exemplary manner. But when we got out of line, she'll always say that phrase and it always brings a smile to my face.


So now you're wondering why I would mention this phrase. If you haven't read my older posts about my roommates, here's a summary - they don't clean up after themselves and don't respect other people's property. So that being said here's the latest story.

I wanted to make blueberry muffins this morning, but I couldn't find my paper cups to put in the muffin pan. While searching around the cupboard for some, one of my roommates emerged from her room. It's noon... about time for someone to wake up. Anyways, being unsuccessful with my search I decided to run to the nearest grocery store, about a 2 minute walk from my building.

I came back with my purchase and decided to take a shower and start the day. When I got out, I heard my roommate making coffee on her Keurig. After getting dress I started finding all the supplies. Pan, paper cups, bowl, muffin mix, oil, egg, and milk. When I reached for my milk, I noticed that the safety strip was partially undone and some of my milk was missing. I went grocery shopping yesterday and haven't touched the milk until now. Hm.

Putting two and two together I realized that my roommate must have used my milk while I was taking a shower. I'll let you know that my roommates and I don't share food. But they have a habit of using my stuff without asking and, I bet, without caring. So what do I do? I'm pretty passive-aggressive with them so I took out my black Sharpie and proceeded to mark all my goods that were not on my shelf in the fridge. Yea, I would like someone to say to me that they didn't see my initials or my name written across the top and sides of the item next time. Seriously, would you open a new bottle or container of anything that wasn't yours?

While we're on that topic, last time two of my roommates (one of them being the offender in this latest incident) decided to make a big dinner. I was going to use my salted stick of butter and noticed that all that was left was a 1/4 inch sliver. Okay, I certainly didn't do that. So I left a note on the fridge asking them to replace it. Nice enough they did, but they also told me the dumbest excuse I ever heard:

Roommate #1 - I thought it was R2's.
Roommate #2 - I thought it was R1's.

My thinking was that they were making dinner together, wouldn't they have asked each other who's butter it was? Right. Clearly lying, you can't be that stupid or could you? Then to top it off:

Roommate #1: It didn't have your initial/name on it.

Do I have to label everything in the fridge to make sure that certain individuals don't eat my food? Come on people, you're not a little kid anymore and you should respect other people's property including food. I can't wait until I have my own place and not have to deal with disrespectful and conscienceless roommates. I have another month left. I should write a roommate etiquette book or something, it's amazing how many people are just clueless. I would hope their parents taught them better.