3.13.2009

Drawing Class - Nude Model

I mentioned in some previous post that this was my first and last chance to take an art class while in college. I'm taking Basic Drawing and the class is awesome. I love to draw and this is a more guided way to learn how to really see things and draw them as shapes that flow with one another. Today's class was different from the rest... we had a nude model. His name is Rich.


I didn't know what to expect from the model. I hoped it was a girl (no offense to the guys), but my guy friends in the class were arguing about whether they rather have a male model or an ugly female model. Oh boys. I don't think we came to a conclusion about that one. Anyways, Jason (my instructor) had us just draw the first time, without instructions on what to do. We made four 5-minute gesture drawings. Then he gathered us around and show us what he was looking for and the techniques we should be using.
So round 2 was off to a good start. I'm a quick learner and tend to grasp the concepts right after it's been shown to me. We did a couple of 5-, 10-, and20-minute gesture drawings. Here's some of my work from today's class. I apologize ahead of time since I was taking pictures in my room and using natural light. There are a couple of dark splotches since my window's dirty from the outside and it's hard to actually cleans windows on the 16th floor of a building without professionals. =)

Next week's model will be a female. Her name is Betty.

Charcoal on Strathmore Charcoal paper, 18x24. Two figures per sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or suggestions? Please leave a comment.