3.10.2009

Living in the Capstone Lab

What is the Capstone Lab? It is a place where mechanical engineering seniors go to get work done on their senior design project (Capstone project). It is located in the basement of the Forsyth Building on campus. A lot of students that use the underground tunnel system would pass by and not know why there's always people working in the lab. They gawk at us through the window. Nice. It has about 28 computers with a build area attached where most projects are given life after the design work. A lot of my peers spend the majority of their waking moments here. Why?

I figured that it was a home away from home for most of us. Some of my peers are living at home or off-campus. They stay here when they're in between classes or waiting for a ride home with a friend. There used to be a couch here, but it was taken out since people would sleep here overnight. Well, the lab is open 24/7, 365 days a year. You just need a pass code to get in.

I'm here usually after working at the bookstore. On Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday I meet with my group. Sometimes people can find me bringing in food (to feed those too busy to leave the lab at night) and random advance movie screening passes (I work at the NU Bookstore and we get those free passes on a bi-monthly basis). I like to visit the lab to socialize with my friends and just catch up. Since my work load is non-existent at this point, I have a lot of free time. Part of it is spent working at the bookstore, a small fraction of hanging out in the lab, and the other part is spent in my room, sitting in front of my computer or reading another novel.

Okay, I guess I'm going back to my room now. I live on-campus so it's easy for me to do so. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or suggestions? Please leave a comment.