10.06.2008

Adventures into Thai Cooking

Thanks Elvin for letting me know that gratification is a word. I probably knew it was in the back of my head, but I didn't check to make sure I used it in the correct context when I made the video. Here's the wikipedia definition of it: Gratification is the positive emotional response (happiness) to a fulfillment of desire.

Okay, so I started making my own Thai food after I don't know how many years of eating it. Probably 22 years since I've been eating my mom's cooking since I was a baby. I usually make the trek home to Long Island just for my mom's yummy Thai food. My favorites are Lad Na (also known as Rad Na), Pad See Ew, Gang Som (aka Sour Curry), and Fried Tofu with Sweet Chili dipping sauce. The desert menu can go on forever... my mom makes the best deserts on the East Coast. Okay, that might be stretching it, but hey, she's amazing and I'm not being biased. She usually sells her cooking at the local Thai temple when they're having the monthly Buddhist celebrations.

Anyways, I started making Lad Na (twice now) and Gang Som. So far so good. =) I'll take pictures next time I make Lad Na. I believe I'll try making my mom's awesome Tomato Soup next. Here are some of the recipes. I'll probably edit it until I get them right. You can find most of the ingredients at Chinese and Asian grocery stores.

Lad Na (2 Servings, maybe 3) - Modified version of www.thaitable.com

1 package (3/4 lb) of fresh flat rice noodles
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
6 tbsp vegetable oil (I usually use olive oil)
1/4 lb of pork, chicken, or beef, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp tapioca flour
2 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce - mushroom (or Thin Soy Sauce)
1/2 lb of broccoli or Chinese broccoli

Coat the pork with 1 tablespoon of tapioca flour. Mince garlic. In a bowl, add water to the rest of flour. This will the base for sauce. Cut up the Chinese broccoli into 2 inch-pieces.

Slice the noodles into 1/2 to 1 inch wide strips. Break the clumped noodles into strands.

Heat up 4 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan or pot. When the oil is ready, put in the noodles and stir. Add 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce on the noodles. Stir again until all the noodles are broken into pieces. Keep stirring for 5 more minutes. Set the cooked noodles aside.

In a pot or pan that is big enough to hold all the ingredients, heat up the rest of the oil. Add minced garlic and coated meat. Stir for a minute or so until the meat is getting cooked. Add the flour water. Stir quickly to keep it from forming chunks. When cooked, the flour will turn from white to clear. Add soy sauce and sugar. Stir. When the sauce is bubbling, it should have a consistency of thick gravy.

Put the noodles on a plate and pour as much gravy on it as you like. Add a bit of white or black pepper and some boiled vinegar with pickled chili, for the experienced.

I'll put up pics and more recipes as I semi-perfect them. Taste definitely depends on the cook. I love the way my mom's cooking tastes so I emulate it. Okay, time to go eat!!!

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome miss. I think maybe you got caught up in your excitement over your romance novels that you forgot some common words lol.
    Anyways, that sounds like an interesting recipe. I'm not going to lie, I'm not a fan of Thai food, well from the few times that I've had it. Maybe yours is a lot better.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or suggestions? Please leave a comment.