7.12.2012

How to Make a Pattern Organizer

I like to collect patterns. I hope that I actually use most of them, but they're also good for inspiration and reference on what I would like to make. Every now and then Joann Fabrics would have a $1 pattern sale. Last week it was McCall's and next week it'll be Butterick. This week they have a $2 pattern sale for Simplicity patterns going on today through Saturday. 

Last week I bought a lot of patterns and had no where to keep them. So while I was walking around the store I decided to pick up a file holder (it was 50% off!) and convert it into a pattern organizer.

Keeping the patterns this way was not going to work for much longer.
New patterns!!!
Tools and Supplies:

  • File holder - I like the see-through plastic ones made by Sterilite.
  • File folders - I had bought a 100 pack of these from Costco a long time ago
  • Pattern envelope - to be used as a cutting guide for the width of the dividers
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
  1. Sort your patterns to count how many dividers you will need. 
  2. Sorting out my patterns.
  3. Position the pattern envelope on top of the file folder. If you are cutting the file folder with a center tab, center the envelope. If your folder has a left tab, position the envelope to align with the left side of the folder.
    This envelope is center aligned with the tab.
  4. For center tabs, measure 2.25" from each edge and marked that with a quick, light line using a pencil.
    2.25" from each edge for the center tab.
  5. For left or right tabs, measured 7.5" from the edge with the tab.
    7.5" from the tabbed end.
  6. Next, cut the folder on the penciled line. I left the folder as is and didn't cut off the side that folded since you can always keep notes in this mini-file folder.
  7. Label your pattern dividers.
  8. Insert your patterns in between dividers.
    Patterns organized neatly.
  9. Done!
Side view of the pattern organizer.
In my effort to be resourceful, I saved the excess pieces of the folder and converted them into embroidery floss organizer for individual projects. All you need are scissors and a hole punch. 

Tools for the job.
Cross-stitch/embroidery floss organizer.
Enjoy!

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or suggestions? Please leave a comment.